Friday, August 13, 2010

MINDING MY MEDS

I think I've gotten to the bottom of why I've been feeling so awfully poorly as of late. A bad drug reaction. Or, more specifically, a bad drug interaction — something I've just started taking isn't getting on with something I've been taking for a while.

I suppose I could blame the doctor or pharmacist for this potentially life-threatening situation. They're supposed to be looking after me! Right?

Well, actually, uh, no. Their jobs are to help me look after me. Quite a different story.

If one is going to take the meds, one ought to read up on what one is taking. Our pharmacy actually gives out information on the drugs being dispensed. It makes sense to read the bulletin. It's just that I hadn't remembered one of the details about one of the other pills I've been taking for a while. So, when I suspected a drug mismatch, to the computer and do the research. The problem became immediately obvious. As did the solution. (I understand the priority of the medications, because I understand the priority of the situations the medications are set to overcome; the joy of having a physician who explains things well.)

Have you even had a bad drug experience?

And what do you think of the notion that each of us is responsible for his/her health, with the assistance of professionals? (Quite different from many peoples' attitudes these days.)

I fully realize that we live in an age of "entitlement," in which people take for granted many of the services provided. What are the benefits, and what are the dangers of this sense of entitlement?

I'll be writing more on this, in due course